Mojave Magnum FAQ 2018

10.1      updated 12/23/2017

Q.  What exactly is this type of event?

A.  Technically, it’s a 1.5-mile standing-start solo motorsport speed trial.  You drive your car or bike from a standing start and try to get to the highest speed you can in exactly 1.5 miles.

 Q.  So is it just a very long drag race?

A.  No.  There is only one vehicle on the track at a time, and you don’t race directly against somebody else. And we don’t measure elapsed time, only top speed.  Because we don’t care about E.T., burnouts and hot starts are not as necessary, making it easier on your equipment.

Q.  This sounds like fun!  Who can enter?

A.  Pretty much anybody 18 years or older, with a current valid driver’s license.  You will need a vehicle (car or bike) in good shape that meets our minimum standards for safety equipment, tires, etc.  The driver or rider must meet our minimum standards for personal equipment such as helmet and clothing.  (See more details below.) You must have permission of the vehicle’s owner to enter and/or drive it in this event.  (That means that rental cars are not allowed to compete unless you can show us written permission from the rental company.)

Q.  Do I need to pre-enter, or can I just show up on the day of the event?

A.  You cannot “just show up” at the event. If you want to compete, you must pre-enter, as early as possible. If we are not completely sold out, you can pre-enter/register online up until 8 PM the day before you wish to race. To enter, you must use our online registration service; we will not accept walk-in, in-person, telephone or paper-based entries. We will try to put notices on our web site and Facebook page if we do sell out.  NOTE: If you are a Rookie (meaning you’ve never run with us at Mojave before), you must not only pre-register online, you are required to show up at the track by 7 AM on your first race day for mandatory activities.  (Snooze and you may not get to run!)

Q.  Can I bring any car or bike and go as fast as I want?

A.  We do require a certain minimum level of safety equipment, and we impose reasonable speed limits, based on your experience, your safety equipment and the tires on your machine.  Even as a rookie you are allowed to go up to 170 mph on your first run if your tires and vehicle are up to it.  With more experience, more safety equipment and better tires, you can go well over 200 mph if you have the horsepower!   Please see the Car and Bike Preparation Guides here on the website for a concise explanation of the requirements.

Q.  How do your competition classes work?

A.   We have 10 speed-based classes, 5 for cars and 5 for motorcycles.  You enter your vehicle in the one that best matches your vehicle, your experience level, your safety gear and your tires.  If you accidentally enter a class that’s not right for you, don’t worry, we’ll get it sorted out.

Q.  What are the car/driver equipment requirements to get started?

A.  You can start with just a basic car (street legal or not) in good repair with good tires.  We require a few little things like metal valve stem caps.  Your car has to have at least regular three-point lap/shoulder belts in good condition. (We don’t allow cars with only a lap belt.) Your tires have to be in good shape, at least Z or W rated and sidewall date-coded 2012 or later. (A special exemption for lower tire ratings may be available if your car is slow enough to not exceed them.) That’s about it, for the car itself, for our entry-level Class D.  For personal equipment, first you need an acceptable auto racing (not motorcycle) helmet.  (See the item below about helmets.) You also need, at a minimum, simple full-coverage, non-synthetic clothing (for example, 100% cotton long pants and long sleeve high neck shirt) with cotton underclothing and high socks, leather gloves with no holes and leather topped shoes with no holes.  The basic guideline here is to have as little synthetic fabric as possible, and no exposed skin below the neck.  This is the minimum to drive a car at Mojave in Class D, up to a limit of 170 MPH. See the Car Preparation Guide and the rule book for more details.

Q.  What if my car is a convertible?

A.  There are special rules for convertibles or cars that don’t have a metal roof structure.  If the car has some kind of rollover protection behind the driver (like pop-up roll bars, for example), it can probably run.  If it doesn’t, sorry, but it probably can’t run.

Q.  What about bikes? Can I just bring my stock bike and run it as is?

A.  Sorry, but no, a totally stock bike can’t run. For safety reasons, we require you to do certain basic modifications (below).  However, they are relatively low-cost and not that hard to do.  Also, we generally don’t allow certain bike types such as scooters, mini bikes, pocket GPs, trikes, dirt bikes, full streamliners, choppers, Can-Ams, Piaggios, etc.

Q.   What are the motorcycle equipment requirements?

A.   Due to their more-exposed nature, we do require some basic safety equipment for bikes.  At a minimum: 1) your bike must have a racing-type tethered kill switch installed; 2) a few items must be safety-wired; 3) all lights, turn signals and mirrors must be taped or removed; and 4) your bike’s tires must be no more than 6 years old and at least V rated. Every bike rider must wear at least full one-piece or zip-together racing leathers, leather hi-top boots without lug soles, leather gauntlet gloves and an approved full face helmet.  Certain very-high-speed riders must wear armored leathers. The Bike Preparation Guide and the rule book have the details.

Q.  What kind of helmet do I need?

A.  First, we don’t accept any helmet that is only rated DOT, with no other rating.  (Unfortunately, too many of these, although fine in theory, are very poorly made.)  We require other ratings such as (for cars) Snell SA2010 & later; or (for bikes) Snell M2010 & later, or ECE 22.05 (circle E tag), or certain others.  (A full list is in the rule book.)

All car drivers must wear a real auto racing helmet rated SA2010 or later.  Car drivers cannot wear a motorcycle helmet!  An entry-level Class D driver (170 mph max.) may wear an open face helmet but we would much rather see a full-face model.  The full-face type is required for all classes higher than D.

For bikes, all helmets must be motorcycle type, full face with a face shield (i.e. not open face and not a motocross or goggle type). Flip-up-style “modular” front-opening helmets are allowed but only for classes D and C, up to 190 mph max.  Auto racing (SA) type helmets are not allowed for bike riders.

Q.  Can my spouse/kid/parent/buddy/pet ride along with me in the car?

A.  No. We’re sorry, but passengers are not allowed under normal circumstances.

Q.  Can I bring someone else and share a car/bike?

A.  Yes. We will accept an entry for one extra driver/rider per vehicle.  There is a significant charge for the extra person.  Please note that extra driver/riders must be entered at least a day ahead of time, and cannot be added at the track.

Q.  Can I bring more than one vehicle and drive them all?

A.  Yes. This is limited to one additional vehicle per person.  This is treated as a complete separate entry at full price.

Q.  What if my buddy and I each want to bring a car or bike and then switch off driving each other’s rig? Is that OK?

A.  No, sorry but that practice has been discontinued.  You can only drive the vehicle(s) you entered with. 

Q.  If I bring my family and friends, is there a place for them to sit and watch?

A.  Unfortunately, by requirement of the airport, these are now CLOSED PRIVATE events and we can no longer allow anyone from the general public.  All adults inside the gate must be members of MKM Racing.  Memberships are available only to racers and a very limited number of crew/guests.  To avoid delays, the entrant should supply names of all persons they plan to bring with them.

There is no place to sit and watch unless you bring your own chair, or you can stand and watch. All persons entering the event gate have to sign the necessary liability waivers.

Please note that if you bring children or pets, a responsible adult will have to personally supervise them at all times.  We cannot have kids and pets just wandering around.  The event area is not pet or kid friendly.  Also, for anyone under 18 to get a wristband to get through the gate, a parent or legal guardian will have to be there in person to sign the special minor waiver.  This can’t be a friend, neighbor, babysitter, older relative, etc.  It has to be a parent or legal guardian, for legal reasons.  Both minor and guardian must be family/guest of a racer and the guardian must be an MKM member.

Security requirements: Hoverboards, skateboards, roller blades or skates, and skate shoes are not allowed at this event.  Also not allowed are kites, drones/UAVs, quadcopters, RC aircraft, or any other flying devices.  Kids (including unlicensed teens under 18) are not allowed to operate any kind of wheeled or motorized vehicle or device, meaning no razors, big wheels, pedal cars, RC cars, bikes, trikes, ATVs, golf carts, Segways, scooters, mopeds or anything like that. (Medically necessary wheelchairs and power chairs are OK.)  There is a no-alcohol rule in effect at the event, which applies to everyone there.  Also, open fires, barbecue grilles and glass containers are not allowed.

Q.  So, what do I have to do to my car to go faster in your event?

A.  Go fast enough to get a higher license; put on higher-rated tires; and add more safety equipment. (Extra horsepower is good too!) Those are the main factors determining the class you can enter and thus your speed limit.  A quick overview: your car can go up to 170 mph in the Auto D class with the basic requirements mentioned above.  To get to Auto C with a 190 mph limit, you need better tires, a minimum fire suit, and you need to make a run above 160 so you can get a C license.  To get to Class B with its 220 mph limit, it gets more serious. In addition to even higher-rated tires, you need to have a roll bar, racing harnesses with arm restraints, a real fire suit and racing clothing, and a HANS device. To go higher than that (240 MPH), the requirements become even more strict, for example, high-speed or racing tires, a roll cage, onboard fire system, possibly a parachute, etc. That is our Auto A class. Our highest speed cars are in our Auto Unlimited class, which are full race cars with welded roll cage, real racing tires, and a parachute.  This is only a snapshot of the requirements; you need to read the Car Preparation Guide and our Quick Reference Chart for details.  They are available for download from this web site.

In all cases you also have to be speed-licensed for the higher classes, which is done by getting Mojave experience at high enough speeds.

Q. What about a higher speed limit for my bike?

A. Basically, just get higher rated tires.  That’s the major determiner of a bike’s class qualification.  Rider speed licensing also applies, just like cars.  The Bike Preparation Guide spells all this out.

Q.  I’ve modified my car to go pretty fast but I don’t have a roll bar.  Am I going to be stuck only doing 190?

A.  The answer is “maybe”. We recommend a real roll bar; however, we will exempt certain cars from the usual Auto B class (220 mph limit) roll bar requirement due to their high-quality factory rollover protection.  Some of the cars presently on this list include:  1984 and newer fixed-roof (non-convertible) Corvettes; Dodge/SRT Viper coupes; 2005-2006 Ford GTs; Audi R8 coupes; Tesla Model S; certain Mercedes sedans.  Other cars may be added to this list from time to time. Call to inquire about your car.  You will still need to properly mount your racing harnesses, which is difficult without a roll bar. Usually a special “harness bar” is needed.

Q.  I would like to use a nitrous oxide system.  Is that allowed?

A.  Usually, yes.  The system must be properly mounted, plumbed, and wired.  See the rule book for details.

Q.  Equipment-wise, what do I have to watch out for? What are you not going to allow?

A.  First, please understand that if we say that certain items are not allowed, we are doing it for a good reason, almost always safety-related.  Having said that, we’ll tell you now that the following will likely fail Tech Inspection:

  • Wheels (on cars) over 20 inches in diameter, unless they are factory original equipment for that car, or approved for racing (most street wheels aren’t)
  • Wheels or wheel covers with “spinners” or other moving parts
  • Aluminum lug nuts, lug bolts, or wheel studs - these are only allowed IF the car came with them from the factory AND they are the factory original parts AND you can prove it AND your car is in D class.  Otherwise they WILL fail Tech.  Steel is what we want to see.
  • A helmet that is only rated DOT, with no other rating
  • A motorcycle helmet on a car driver, or an auto racing helmet (SA type) on a bike rider
  • A helmet that has ever been in a crash, or is more than 10 years old
  • A driving suit that is worn out, damaged, frayed, has broken seams or closures, has holes, or has ever been in a fire
  • Factory type seat belts that are old, sun damaged, or frayed.  (If they’re over 10 years old they should be replaced.)
  • 4-point 2-inch center-buckle “tuner” or “buggy” type belts.  These are not suitable for use in this competition.
  • Expired racing harnesses (with a 2-yr grace period) or harnesses over 5 yrs old
  • Y-type or one-piece V-type or U-type racing shoulder harnesses (i.e., racing harnesses must use two separate shoulder belts)
  • Worn-out, undersized or mismatched tires, or tires that rub on the body or suspension
  • Tires that are not at least “W or Z” speed rated (for cars) or V rated (for bikes) (exemptions are possible for inherently slow vehicles) 
  • Tires that were manufactured prior to 2012 (based on sidewall date code)
  • Tires with significantly cracked sidewalls, chunked tread, or other damage
  • Tube type tires on cars (there are a few exceptions to this)
  • Tires that have been repaired or plugged
  • Drag racing drive wheel tires (drag slicks), except for our list of DOT-approved Drag Radials
  • Bikes that don’t have our minimum safety modifications
  • For bikes, boots with lug soles such as logger boots or work boots

Bike riders all have to wear at least a full leather racing suit, and that doesn’t mean just regular leather pants and a separate jacket, unless they zip together completely.  Speeds above 220 require armored road race leathers (with hard back armor) and road racing boots.

One thing that a lot of people tend to forget, but is required:  metal tire valve stem caps.  (We usually have some for sale at the event if you do forget.)

This is not a complete listing; see the Rule Book and the Preparation Guides for more details as to what’s required and what is and is not allowed.

Q.  What is the altitude at Mojave? Which runway will we be using?

A.  We will be running on the 12,500 foot Runway 12/30.  Our "default" run direction is from Northwest to Southeast (runway 12).  Although it is very unlikely, we may run in the other direction at any given event, determined by us prior to the start, based on predicted wind, weather and other factors.  The start line is at approximately 2800 feet above sea level.  Density Altitudes on race day tend to be in the 4000-5000 foot range.

Q.  How can I get a better look at the airfield layout?

A.  We suggest using Google Maps online (click on 'earth'), which will give you a nice aerial view of the facility.  Search for airport code MHV.  We are on the longest runway. The 4/2015 Google Earth view actually shows one of our events in progress!